Thursday, October 17, 2013

Literacy Blog #7




Pencil and Paper
2006
Link
 
Based on the evidence from the atricle I can see that the SAT can be useful for college in the furture, but on the other hand it is giving students a hard time to actually write well in this SAT. The article stated, "No scratch paper is provided for outlining or essay planning." It made me think that they are really limiting us to our best abilties with a short amount of time. They actually say that "the best approach is to just make stuff up.", so I guess they don't care what we have to say. We just put whatever and they grade based off of our vobaulary skills, not on the accuracy of the information. Also, when the article stated that graders basically don't "do anything more than skim an essay before making a grading determination." It shocked me becasue we could write anything in the that essay, and they could just run over it without noticing.


Dipper writing stuff
3/4/2012
Link
The best way for the SAT's writing evaluation to be accuratley judged would be to take out the skimming grading proccess. It might take longer to grade and read over a bunch of SAT's, but in the long run it will give the fair results that some of the students need. They also need to focus more on the writing ablility and what the writers are actually trying to prove or disprove. If they ask a question about themselves that is personal, I guess that they can't actually ask them if it were true, but the content has to be relavent to the topic.

After this article I don't think I would be prepared to even look at the writing SAT. Now that I know, I can further my writing abilities and practice for when the time comes. I might need to spiff up my vocabulary a bit, time myself when given a topic to write about, and try to use my time wisely. I think teachers should give their students a few pointers in the classroom to make them more prepared.

Here is the Link: http://kellygallagher.org/resources/AoW%201314_8%20SAT%20Writing.pdf

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of teachers giving us a few pointers in the classroom to help prepasre us. It would be nce if I knew where your quotes are coming from. Maybe you could add parenthetical ciatations.

    ReplyDelete