Athlete suspended for driving friend
I would have probably done the exact same in Erin's situation. The reason for this being is because I wouldn't just abandon my drunk friend, that would leave them in a dangerous situation of getting in a car accident. On the other hand it would also be a smart idea to not drive them home. Alternatives would be to just call their parents or just let the police handle it. I think this decision will affect her future colleges she wishes to go to. This incident will be on her record, and colleges don't want to see things like that, so it will make it harder for her to get in. The principle regarding alcohol that schools are trying to stand for is "Teen drinking is a serious problem." as stated in the article. Yes, I do agree that teen drinking is a serious matter, but someone who is not under the influence of alcohol should not be submitted to this kind of punishment. I think the reason that schools are getting involved in the efforts to prevent teen drinking is because if students are found drinking then schools should take away things that are dear to them, just like Erin was "suspended for five games and stripped of her captaincy." She was the captain of her team and they took that away from her. She wasn't drinking though, and that's why I think the school went a little overboard with that. As said in the article the school sent out a "dangerous message -- that young people are better off letting their friends drive drunk..." I think the reason they suspended her was because she was at the wrong place at the wrong time and they suspected the worst outcome. I do think my school would suspend me if I were found at a party of drunks, even though I never took one sip, it just matter that you were there you can still get blamed. Erin was doing the right thing, but it were others who over thought the situation.Link to article: http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/9826842/high-school-athlete-massachusetts-suspended-driving-drunk-friend
I agree with you a hundred percent, because She simply got in trouble for being at the wong place at the wrong time.
ReplyDeleteI like how you gave many reasons as to why you didn't think it was fair for Erin to get suspended. Though you could give a little more information on the story. Maybe you could say go hinting the story as you go along or start off with a summary of it.
ReplyDelete