Saturday, February 1, 2014

Current Event #2

Printed Candy You Can Eat? 

There have been many 3D printer creations, but no other printer has been able to create a sweet treat other than the new Chef Jet! It is said to be "the world's first on-demand 3D candy printer" (Dolasia)! First introduced in Las Vegas at the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show. It is small enough to fit on a kitchen counter and is completely safe for anyone to eat. To make one of it's delicious creations, one must provide the printer with a sugary or chocolaty substance. It is then flatted downed by a rolling pin type contraption. The inkjet print head then spreads water over the surface for the candy to crystallize and solidify. This process can be repeatedly executed multiple times in order to create it's " beautiful intricately designed piece of candy" (Dolasia). 

This is an invention you would think would have been invented in the future if you asked me. No more having to go to your local candy store in order to create your favorite goodies. Now with this new Chef Jet, you have the power right at your finger tips. This makes things more convenient for people. Not only does the Chef Jet provide its owner with a bunch of creation templates, but also lets the owner add their own creative mix as well. This article makes me think of how much technology has advanced. We use a ton of technology at our school, so maybe by a year or two we might even get one of these 3D printers.

I absolutely love sweets, and this is just a cool innovative way of how our candy is being formed!  I think the only draw back from this invention is that it can take up to an hour to make, and can leave impatience people to starve.  Another unfavorable aspect would be the price of the invention. It starts at a price of $5,000, and for the more advanced models it would cost someone up to $10,000! You would have to be a truly devoted candy lover if you would wanted to purchase the Chef Jet, because some people (like me) are just plain broke. If this invention would lower its price, I would totally jump at the chance to have one, because frankly this thing is just plain incredible.  

Short Answer Response 
How does the author use language to advance her point of view? Use evidence from the selection to support your answer.

The author advances her point of view by using language, such as, when she states that the "Chef Jet ... can print colored confectionery, [and] is expected to come to market by the second half of the year" (Dolasia). By the use of the word confectionery, it proves to me that she thinks that this invention is quite fancy. The word confectionery is basically the word candy, but in a much more sophisticated way.


Work cited
Eric. "Candyland." Photograph. Flickr. Yahoo, 2 Dec. 2007. Web. 1 Feb. 2014. <http://www.flickr.com/photos/29498428@N00/2081440397>.

Dolasia, Meera. "Print Your Candy And Eat It Too!" DOGOnews. DOGOmedia, 26 Jan. 2014. Web. 1 Feb. 2014. <http://www.dogonews.com/2014/1/26/print-your-candy-and-eat-it-too>.

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting, I have never heard of the Chef Jet before, be right back, I'm going to go buy one! I like how you described the Chef Jet, it is almost like a commercial. One thing I would add more on is the kind of candy you can make, because I really want to know, I saw the candy canes, is that all it can make? I agree that this invention is a thing of the future, and even though it is spendy, maybe candy shops will open and have those there to make you you

    ReplyDelete